Rome and its restaurants
Photo: Silvia Ragel
About two months ago James sent us this message:
– Good morning Bracap. My name is James and I am the director of a travel agency in Toronto. We would like to broaden our destinations and we have decided for Italy.
The staff that works at the travel agency in Toronto arrive in Milan to start their tour through Italy and I can finally put some faces together, James, Sarah, Emily and Matthew whom I have spoken so many times on the phone. We start our journey towards the South: Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena…and now we are in ROME.
Italy has a delicious cuisine and it makes it hard to decide where and what to eat due to its wide variety.
We like to mix in with the locals, eat at their favorite restaurants and share their daily stories while we taste the fabulous Italian cuisine.
In Rome, we have left the more touristy part of the city to propose the following:
Ristorante Ai Bozzi
Close to the Garibaldi Bridge in Trastevere. A delicious place with local food with good gluten-free options. They offer us a prosecco as a welcome drink and a menu that could be perfect for today: “octopus salad, fried artichokes, roasted lamb and tiramisu.”
Ristorante Eletrofrono Frontoni
Who comes to Italy and does not order a pizza or calzone? This place is ideal for students’ groups that come to Rome, as it is close to many universities. The original thing of this restaurant is that you can order pizza by the pound and they look amazing.
Photo: Lluis Capdevila
A family owned restaurant which the locals frequently go. It is a bit chaotic but the service is very good and the waiters are very thoughtful. We love to feel like at home, so this is one of the restaurants we use for our groups. We suggest you try the bruschetta with garlic and prosciutto cut by hand and for seconds the lasagna.
As a standard procedure, I always call the restaurant to double check our reservation:
– Carlo, it’s Judit. We are on our way and we will arrive in about 30 minutes.
– Oh dear, I am so so so sorry. We forgot to make the reservations and now there is a waiting line of…almost one hour!…hold on, we will try to fix this.
– Mmm … Carlo wait, I have a better idea. We don’t need a table, as they are Friends from a travel agency in Canada, but please prepare the menu to go. Yes, exactly the usual. Thanks.
You always must have a backup plan and since it is a fabulous day, we go have a picnic at Gianiclo park.
When we get to the restaurant our food is ready and everybody agrees it is a great idea to eat outside and can enjoy the spectacular views of Rome from the hill in the park.
On the following day James and his team return to Canada:
– Our luggage will have no weight problems but I think I will” -Says Matthew while he laughs- We have fallen in love with Italian food.
– We hope to see you again here. Arrivederci guys.
Have a safe trip back to Toronto!
Photo: Lluis Capdevila