Photo: Quim Capdevila
– Thanks so much for arranging everything! At least we can return the money to our client who has canceled the rest of his trip due to a period of unconsciousness and has had to go back to his city of origin by ambulance. Good thing the insurance covered that- I tell myself.
– This has been good for us because we are overbooked, so we can use that spare room for another client who is waiting.
Everything is ok now. I finish giving out the room keys when suddenly, the door to the hotel opens and Hector and his wife appear. Is this a mirage! Oh my God!
– Judit! We are back. I have been all day at the hospital and I didn’t feel like being in an ambulance all night long. I spoke to my doctor and he is letting me spend the night in the hotel, rest a bit and go back home tomorrow morning.
– I’m glad, Hector! That means you are feeling better-I tell her while I look sideways to the nice receptionist who is saying NO with her head.
I decide to give them the key to my room in order not to create problems. The reception team help me look for a hotel in the area but the closest is 30km away and I cannot leave the group … so, they offer me the only possible option at the time: put a rollaway bed in the breakfast hall and take it out before they open to the clients. I ACCEPT!
At 6:00AM they wake me up to clear the hall and I go straight to the bus driver’s room to take a shower. I have breakfast to recover strength and wait for the group at the reception of the hotel to start the tour.
Photo: Silvia Ragel
– Well I do not have sunscreen. Josefa, would you have some lotion in that big bag of your?-says Claudia while she touches her cheeks.
– I have a little bit of everything in this bag. Guys and girls, whoever needs cream…make a line-she says while she takes out her lotion with solar factor 50+.
They make a line behind Claudia while I take a picture: sunscreen lotion with the Big Ben in the back. We continue to walk along the River Thames and at sunset I take them to a beautiful place: the TATE Modern Museum, where they have a new terrace in the highest part of the building with 360º views of London, spectacular!
– WOW! You can enjoy a beautiful sunset from here! I never would have thought there could be a place like this in a museum-says Pablo while he doesn’t stop taking pictures with his mobile.
The weekend is here and as they told me they love flea markets, we visit one of the most famous ones in Notting Hill (Portobello Market) and Camden Town. Both have completely different styles. Here Pablo falls in love with a leather jacket Rock style and stars buying with no limit.
– See Pablo, you can stay in Camden Town, it is your style, kind of…indie style-says Claudia while he winks at him.
– I know you say this because you prefer to stay in Notting Hill and leave me behind. Do you expect Hugh Grant to show up in the next corner?
– You are the only Hugh Grant in my life-she tells her and he kisses him.
– Hey guys can’t you wait to get to the hotel? – Josefa says and everyone starts to laugh.
That night they confess that although they loved the fish & chips (deep fried fish with French fries) and the Sunday roast, they miss Mexican food. So, we go to a great restaurant with Mexican food and music. Ay caramba!
Memories, memories and stories that I think of while walking through the center of London, one of the cities that I love the most and makes me feel at home.
When I get to the hotel I smile, turn on my laptop and decide to send them an email: “Dear Claudia and Pablo…”
Photo: Judit Tasies